Tuesday 17 September 2013

Basketball cake...

This is an order from my sis's secondary sch basketball teacher, Mrs Tay, for her daughter's 13th birthday. This is really a family of basketballers as both the parents play basketball and now her daughter, Tabitha, also plays basketball. So I designed a basketball board with a ball on it.

Complimentary cupcakes. 14 is Tabitha's jersey no.
However I had some difficulties with the ball. At first, I created the ball using cake (with the cake pop method) like what I did for the baby minnie cake. However, the ball cake was too heavy and it started to droop down and pull along the fondant base with it. I had to remake the whole cake and this time round, I mould a smaller ball with fondant and placed it on the basketball board instead. However, as the ball is still heavy, Mrs Tay reflected to me that the ball kind of drooped down while they were cutting the cake. Really thankful for the feedback and sorry that the cake did not look as nice as it was supposed to be. But Mrs Tay is really encouraging and gave me positive feedbacks.

This is really a good lesson learnt and it taught me the importance of building a strong cake structure besides thinking about the design and making it look nice. Ever since I started cake decorating, every cake that I made gives me valuable learning point and I have been learning from mistakes. Really grateful for the people who are so kind and gave me valuable feedbacks instead of complaining about any imperfections. I will continue to work hard and improve on my skills. Thanks a lot for all the support!

Last but not least, still hope Tabitha had a wonderful birthday celebration and thank you Mrs Tay!





No comments:

Post a Comment