Wednesday 21 August 2013

Longevity cake for my grandma...

This post is dedicated to my grandmother who is celebrating her 80++ birthday this year (lost count of how old she is). As I've started on this baking business, as a matter of fact, I should be making the birthday cakes of all my loved ones from now on. In fact, I have actually tried making a cake for my grandma's birthday a few years back and it looks like this.

Tiramisu cake...
Pardon the poor decoration skills as back then I have not went for lessons and know nuts about the wonders of fondant and gum paste. Nevertheless, I still managed to whipped up quite a decent tiramisu cake and it is actually quite a big project for me as the cake is quite huge. But feedbacks were given saying that the cake is too dull and black which may not be that nice for an elderly's birthday. I didn't think of that while I was "decorating" and I used dark chocolate chips to lay out the word "shou" thinking that I was very "creative" but it turned out too dull. Oh well, we always have to learn from our mistake. Therefore, this time round, I make it a point that the cake must have red elements on it to make it lively and appropriate for the elderly.

Getting the decorations ready to be placed on the cake.

The main trunk on the cake which branches out to smaller branches with flowers and leaves on it. Actually, this is placed to cover up my mistake where my intention at first was to brush the whole cake in champagne lustre dust like how the base is done. However, I realised that it will take too much effort as the cake is big and the colour effect is not even. But I have already brushed a few strokes on the cake and therefore, to cover this, I came up with the trunk and place more flowers and leaves! LOL!
 
Learning from past experience, this time round I had my "shou" in red and gold!

And not to forget those longevity buns which signifies longevity and which I love to eat too. LOL!

And two big ones on top! I actually wanted to buy real longevity buns to place on top of the cake but was thinking that the colour may be off from the cake. So instead, this two "buns" are actually wrapped cupcakes which can be eaten as well!
Final product!
Check out the birthday celebration below!

The kids eyeing the cake!

The older generation.

The younger generation.

The youngest generation.

Happy Birthday Ah Ma!

No comments:

Post a Comment