Wednesday 17 July 2013

The Jembakes Journey : Part 2

As mentioned in the previous post, I attended the Wilton cake decorating course which opens my door to cake decorating. However, my interest for it have long been around where I love those cakes and cupcakes that are so delicate and pretty to the eyes. After much research and realising that the key behind all these pretty cakes is a "substance" called fondant and also gumpaste, I decided to try it for myself and bought the ingredient from Phoon Huat. Below are the results of my experiment.

Just trying out some simple designs and using those ready made silver balls and stuff to help out with the decorating
For my christmas picnic with my friends in Sentosa and the fondant almost melted under the hot sun
My sis's farewell cupcakes for her colleagues where she worked in FX related field
While working with gumpaste, I realised it hardens very fast and therefore my decors often have cracks on them and are harder to mould into. And for the fondant, I realised it will melt and have a wet and sticky look when left in room temperature and therefore I have to keep it refrigerated fearing that the designs melt easily. But it was frustrating to work with them and I wasn't sure if I was doing it the correct way. This is when I thought a proper course is needed to get the techniques right. Therefore I attended the first course which teaches basic techniques with buttercream icing. Personally, I didn't really like handling buttercream icing as it is too messy and oily to clean up. And the designs are more easily ruined if not careful enough. More so not advisable for a careless person like me. Hahaha. But as mentioned, this is a pre-requisite course if I were to attend other courses and therefore I have to take it whether I like it or not. Nevertheless, I had fun during the course and have learned a lot too. Here are the designs I learned through the usage of different piping tips.


Personally like the rose design best but the rose is really hard to make

A brighter and colourful feel to this set of cupcakes
We were all given the same design and learnt the technique of transferring the picture onto the cake

Final presentation for the course and I made a 7th month birthday cake for my niece

Finally, after attending course 1, it is the much awaited course for learning to work with fondant and gumpaste. Seriously, it is like working with playdough and it is really fun for those with deprived childhood like me. Hahaha.. So I started kneading away and I got the answer to my problems with the fondant and gumpaste. Since the gumpaste is too hard and the fondant is too soft, we mix it together in equal portions and therefore it will be easier to mould into any designs. tada, as simple as that. Hahaha.. And to stick the designs together, just melt a little bit of the gumpaste in water and tada, it became "glue". Hahaha..
Wanted to try a garden feel with flowers and butterfly

My final presentation for the course where I made the cake for my Bro-in-law.

I'm certified after the courses and all ready and excited to make more cakes and decorations for any occasions and there will be more to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment